There are a number of signs that point to the presence of termites in your roof framing or the connected ceiling rafters. The most obvious potential signs include:
- Sagging in your roofline
- Sagging ceilings
- Loosened shingles or roof tiles
- Visible termite wings or dead termites in your attic
- Framing members that are visibly eaten away
- Framing members that produce a hollow sound when you tap them
- Presence of mud tubes on the exterior surface of a wall or chimney
- Smell in your attic that resembles the odor of mold or mildew.
During swarming season, you may also see live winged termites in your attic or around the exterior of your home. These creatures resemble winged ants but differ in several ways.